Technical requirements for the provided layouts
1. Electronic media
- CD-ROMs and DVD-ROMs;
- USB mobile drives;
- Media must be compatible with the IBM PC platform;
- Layouts can be accepted by e-mail or FTP, the login and password must be obtained from the manager;
- All files submitted to the prepress department must be named in English.
2. File formats
- PDF. This is the preferred option.
- Adobe Illustrator CS 6 and below.
- Adobe In Design CS 6 and below.
- Images that do not contain small elements (including text, logos, etc.) can be provided as TIFF files. It should be remembered that bitmap fonts have a ragged outline, while fonts in vector format have a clear outline. Images containing small elements (logos, ornaments, text, etc.) must be in vector format, and black text with a size of 10 or less must be in one color – 100% Black.
- File formats must be compatible with Windows.
3. Submitting materials
- The layout should be on the media in one copy, at a scale of 1: 1;
- The removal of the image beyond the cropped format should be the same and amount to: for sheet products – at least 2 mm from 4 sides. Each type, as well as the “face” and “turnover” for sheet products (business cards, leaflets, postcards, flyers, etc.) must be saved on different pages of the publication or in different files (the file names must unambiguously indicate the type and side ). For multi-page products – 3 – 5 mm, on 3 sides, in the spine – do not lay; for punching – at least 3 mm.
- When preparing a layout for brochures, booklets, magazines and other multi-page documents, the pages of the document in the electronic layout should be arranged in order and in the correct sequence (1, 2, З … n), and not spreads or impositions. It is desirable that the page number in the electronic layout coincides with the page number of its location in the layout program;
- Significant information (text, calendar grid, logos, etc.) should be located at least 5 mm from the cutting line;
- In multi-page documents, for products fastened with an adhesive without sewing method, it is not recommended to place information that is meaningful to you closer than 10 mm from the edge of the spine, and from the other 3 sides: from the edged edge of the publication – at least 5 mm, for all other types of block mounting – not less than 3-5 mm;
- For products that are glued without sewing, it is necessary to take into account the effect of the spine on the image in the publication. If the publication has a cover spread with a block, it is necessary to adjust these spreads according to the image in the spine, taking into account their gluing by 7 mm – front and back (2nd – 3rd pages of the cover from the 1st and last pages of the block); < / li>
- When assembling stapled products, the inner stripes of the block are reduced due to the offset of the strips by an amount depending on the thickness of the unfolded brochure block. In the absence of “false” turns, it is possible to compensate for the displacement at the stage of imposition production. The need for offset compensation (strip breaking) is determined by the printing house specialists. If there are “false” spreads, the offset cannot be corrected, and this must be taken into account when preparing the files by the customer. The printing house cannot fix such a defect.
- In a product assembled on a spring, the indent from the information or image in the “spine” (in the place where it is fastened with a spring) must be at least 10 mm from the edge;
- When using UV varnish, to avoid “creases” and cracks on the paper, do not apply it to the creasing (folding) places, but make a sample of 2 mm or more. left and right big (or fold lines – for thin papers). UV varnish should be in a file as a separate layer and in vector format.
- In booklets with 2 folds (euro booklet), the sheet that is folded inward should be 1-2 mm less than the average, and the first (top) – 1 mm larger than the average.
- All colors must be presented by the CMYK model, with the exception of additional paints indicated on the Pantone scale;
- Additional inks should be specified as Pantone Coated for coated papers and Pantone Uncoated for uncoated papers. All colors, except for additional ones, must be composite (separated), not simple (spot);
- Registration Color is not used – replace it with Black;
- The sum of all colors should not exceed 300%;
- All raster objects must be in SMUK, Grayscale or Bitmap models;
- Embed all raster objects in the publication or link (link to the publication);
- All linked objects must have different names from each other and when transferring the layout must be collected in one single folder; the same folder should contain the layout file and should not contain any extra files;
- There should be no locked elements in the layout;
- output objects for high-quality printing should be in the range of 260-350 dpi, except for black & amp; white objects (up to 1200dpi, but not less than 600 dpi);
- The layout should not contain overprints (except for Black), overprints for other colors are set by the printing house at the request of the CUSTOMER;
- The layout should not contain redundant objects (i.e. objects outside the layout or 100% overlapped by other objects);
- It is forbidden to use OLE – objects and paste through clip-board between 2 different programs; use the command “Import” (“Place”);
- It is not allowed to use OPI links and OPI comments in files. OPI (Open Prepress Interface) technology is fraught with problems with finding used images, the path to which is lost, as a result of which the raster image was not placed in the assembly file (for example, EPS). The result is either an empty space instead of an image or an on-screen representation of the file (72 dpi or lower).
- Line thickness must be at least 0.1 mm (when printing in 1 ink). For lines consisting of several colors or specified as inversion in other elements, the thickness should be 0.2-0.3 mm;
- The size value for a text set in reverse, more than 1 color, must be at least 7 pt. It is advisable to use a sans-serif font and not use “thin” fonts, and a small gray font (less than 50% black) will be difficult to read;
- Selective varnish should be in vector form, painted with a spot color (Pantone) and should be above the object to be varnished with an overlap of 0.2 mm;
- There should be no transparencies or lenses in the layout. All transparencies and lenses must be rasterized;
- Bitmaps with a transparent background and / or rotated at an angle other than 90º, 180º or 270º must be rasterized with the background into a single TIFF;
- In InDesign´e, collect all layout in one book (Package);
- In multi-page editions, it is necessary to indicate the order of the pages in the file name so that it is unambiguously clear how the finished layout is assembled.
- Before finishing work on your layout, be sure to show all the texts to the proofreader to avoid grammatical errors and typos. And also carefully check the spelling of your coordinates and the correct sequence of pages.
- It is important to remember that the colors seen on the monitor screen may not match the printed ones.
- In the event of a defective finished product due to non-compliance with the above technical requirements for layouts, all responsibility lies with the party that provided the incorrect layout.
Requirements may be supplemented depending on the type of work! In this regard, before preparing the original layout, the Customer’s representative should contact the manager for advice, leading an order, or to an employee of the prepress department.
If the following requirements are not met, the original layout is considered to be incorrectly prepared and requires revision. Modification of the original layout is carried out by the Contractor, subject to the technical feasibility and availability of free time, or by the Customer. All work on revision and correction of the provided materials is paid additionally.
Requirements for PDFs
- Files must be composite and saved in PDF version 1.4. Do not use transparency effects on objects painted with mixed colors (Pantone, etc.), such objects can be printed with CMYK inks. The file should not contain embedded ICC profiles. If the layout contains spot colors (pantones – Pantone), then, to avoid errors with transparency and check them, save the files in the PDF 1.3 version.
- All used fonts must be embedded in the file. All images are embedded in the file without OPI function. There should be no commenting objects for PDF files inside the cropped page format and bleeds. The page size in the PDF file must be large enough to accommodate the publication page along with bleeds (bleed margins). Departures (bleed margins) should be equal on all four sides of the page and at least 3-5 mm. The trimmed page size must be specified using the Trim Box parameter or cut marks. The most correct PDF files are obtained when PS files are processed by Acrobat Distiller. You can get a multi-page PDF file by exporting from InDesign.
- Adobe Acrobat Distiller (or InDesign) settings:
- The Resolution parameter must be at least 2400 dpi
- The Compression parameter for color image and grayscale image must be set to ZIP 8 bit, and for monochrome image: CCITT Group 4
- The Color parameter must be set to Color management off
- When preparing materials for work with additional types of finishes (selective UV varnishing, embossing, punching), files must be provided separately.
Requirements for Adobe InDesign publications
- If a publication is provided in layout programs, the output is carried out only after the customer signs printouts from the finished PDF files received by our specialists from the provided publication.
- All fonts and linked images used in the publication must be provided with the publication file.
- All bitmaps must be placed in the publication with a Link created.
- The format of raster images, placed in the publication – TIFF or EPS, vector – EPS. If published in Adobe InDesign, use of PSD, AI and PDF is allowed.
- OLE objects are not allowed.
- Spot attributes should have only those colors that should appear on separate (non-CMYK) separations (pantones).
- The page size in the publication must correspond to the pre-cut size of the product, with the setting of the desired bleed value (Bleed),
Requirements for ready-made edits (do not confuse requirements for edits with requirements for magazine layouts)
The completed installation must contain:
- Fitting crosses of the printer along the perimeter, measuring 2 x 20 mm, line thickness 0.25 points. (in all separations, including spot-colors)
- Color captions (including used spot colors)
- Signature of the sheet, sides of the sheet
- Scales (taking into account the gripping side of the sheet)
- cut marks, bend marks, perforations
I am fully acquainted with the technical requirements. If I violate them, the printing house is not responsible for incorrect display of layouts when printing.